Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Spiritual Block: The Naked Man in Mark

I've heard several arguments and statements that the Bible is an old book of legend and myths.  I believe along the same viewpoint as Lee Strobel, C.S. Lewis, R.C. Sproul and other very smart guys--it just doesn't read like a lie!

I don't intend here to cover everything, but I've been following my own advice on the spiritual block and reading through the Gospels.  I landed on a verse in Mark that just doesn't read like a lie.   

"A young man, wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus when they seized him, he fled, naked, leaving his garment behind."  Mk 14:51-52

I have read some authors' views indicating this showing the tense urgency of the moment, or spiritualizing as he left his old covering behind to be naked and transparent before God, and some others; but as I heard this tonight, I thought something very different.  I thought guys sitting around Mark, recounting events from that dreadful night--only in light of the resurrection.  When ultimately, there is good news, the hilarious is easier to remember.

I envision, Thadaeus talking to James of Alphaeus:
     "Hey, James, do you remember that crazy dude who only had on a bed sheet in the garden when Jesus was taken into custody? "
     "Oh man, that was crazy, CRAZY, man!"
     "You remember, Peter cut that poor guys ear off, and then this guy took off and lost his sheet!"
     "Yeah, running in his 'birthday suit' through the garden!  Man, if it hadn't been so heavy a night, what a riot!"
     "Hey, Mark, what are you writing there?  Man, you've gotta include this!  That was hilarious!"
Mark:  "Well, I'm not sure how I'll work it in, but you're right...gotta include it, Man!"

You see, this just doesn't read like a lie.  Maybe I'm just a little off-center, but I think it could have gone down like this...I really do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment