Saturday, July 9, 2011

Proverbs 9

This proverb takes Wisdom into contrast with humanistic wisdom, or in today's terms:  God's Word, the Bible in contrast to human logic and reason.  For those who follow Christ, stating that God's words are right on target lines up with our stated belief in the Bible and God's wisdom.  Unfortunately, I don't always take God's advice, though.  Sometimes I rely on my own logic, which gives me the following true account of the wisdom of this proverb.


Solomon instructs not to reprove a scoffer or he will hate you.  I somewhat recently reproved an atheist
who was mocking scripture.  He was a "friend" and I wanted to correct him and turn him to the truth.  I also didn't want him leading others of my friends along the path to "Sheol," or death.  Ultimately, I got called a lot of names, including "newt" and "idiot."  In the end, I committed to praying for him and for a healing of the bitterness of heart he had.  He took my gesture of broken-hearted compassion as a retort, assured me he wasn't bitter, and sent me a video mocking Christianity.


I do continue to pray for him frequently, but before you celebrate my piety with me, I must confess that I wasn't heeding God's instructions through Solomon's words.  He instructs not to reprove a scoffer.  He doesn't say not to stand up for Jesus, or speak the truth, but reproof should be for those committing to follow Him.  


"Teach a righteous man and you will increase his learning."


I don't need to shy away from sharing the Gospel--I think that is how Wisdom calls to those living in "folly."  What Solomon, and ultimately, God through His word, is intending here, though, is correction and rebuke.  Paul told Timothy that all scripture is useful for teaching, rebuking and training in righteousness so the THE MAN OF GOD may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.  We should share the Truth, the Way and the Life with the world, but when those opposed to God, mock him, should we be surprised?  Giving them reproof is useless if they have no faith in the One who gave us the law--the code by which the proofs stand.


Please forgive me, God, for my self-righteous attitude toward those who oppose You.  Help me to speak the truth in love to all, to teach accurately those who have chosen to follow You, and to love with true compassion those who have rejected Jesus.

Proverbs 9

Wisdom has built her house,
She has hewn out her seven pillars;
She has prepared her food, she has mixed her wine;
She has also set her table;
She has sent out her maidens, she calls
From the tops of the heights of the city:
"Whoever is naive, let him turn in here!"
To him who lacks understanding she says,
"Come, eat of my food
And drink of the wine I have mixed.
"Forsake your folly and live,
And proceed in the way of understanding."

He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself,
And he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself.
Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you,
Reprove a wise man and he will love you.
Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser.
Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
For by me your days will be multiplied,
And years of life will be added to you.
If you are wise, you are wise for yourself,
And if you scoff, you alone will bear it.

The woman of folly is boisterous,
She is naive and knows nothing.
She sits at the doorway of her house,
On a seat by the high places of the city,
Calling to those who pass by,
Who are making their paths straight:
"Whoever is naive, let him turn in here,"
And to him who lacks understanding she says,
"Stolen water is sweet;
And bread eaten in secret is pleasant."
But he does not know that the dead are there,
That her guests are in the depths of Sheol.

No comments:

Post a Comment